Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Are You A Stamper or A Scrapper?


 “Are you a stamper or a scrapper?” Oh my gosh! If I had a dollar for every time I have been asked that question in the last 15 years, I would be a very wealthy woman. But, I can tell you now, my answer has always been the same… “Why not be both?”

When I began in rubber stamping, making cards with rubber stamps was pretty much all we ever did. And scrapbooking? It consisted of putting your pictures in those yucky, sticky albums that you needed a chisel and a hammer to get your pictures out! That was how it remained for a few years. Rubber stamping continued to grow with new inks and pattern papers coming from manufacturers left and right. Then…BOOM! Scrapbooking took over the craft world like nothing I have ever seen in all my years in this business. It was unbelievable! Manufacturers kept producing more pattern papers and embellishments than the store shelves could hold. I thought to myself, “How cool is this? Look at all these great products I can use with my card making!” But in my classes, the women I was teaching were more like, “Why do I need to buy that pattern paper when I have a stamp that can make the same design?” and “Why would I purchase those stickers when I have a stamp that looks just like them?” And so the big debate, stampers versus scrappers began and continued for many years to come. In my classes, I tried, to no avail, to change this way of thinking. My students, on the other hand, stuck to their guns. You are either a stamper or a scrapper, but you can’t be both. UGH!

Now, after all these years, I am happy to say that stampers and scrappers co-exist quite nicely. Stampers have found out that sometimes placing a sticker on that card is much faster than pulling out the stamp and inkpad. And scrappers now know that using that rubber stamp can add a beautiful look to their page that they didn’t have before.

I don’t hear that question getting asked too much anymore. But, if you do, you now know the answer… “Why not be both?”

 Thanks for joining me. Until next time…

Crafty Hugs,

Lisa
Stampin’ Queen Creations


Give The Queen A Call!!!

No comments: