Monday, September 24, 2012

Fun & Funky Keychains


Hi Everyone,
 
I thought for today’s blog post I would share a rubber stamped project that I created. In a recent blog post, I made a confession about my inability to draw. Since they say that confession is good for the soul, I have another confession I want to share… I lose my keys all the time! That’s right. I said it and I can’t believe I admitted to that out loud, but it’s true. I am forever misplacing my keys!

When my kids were little, I used to blame it on them all the time. I would tell myself that they were just playing a game of hide and seek with me and my keys (I know, I’m a terrible mother!). But as my kids got older I finally had to admit to myself that I truly am a bonehead that is always losing her keys.

That is how this project came to be. I wanted to create a key chain that would be easy to locate (even for me!) but I wanted something that would be cute and durable. I also wanted something that would be easy to find in what I like to refer to as the “Deep Hole in Hades”, or better known as my purse. Let’s face it ladies, the bigger the purse the more stuff we can put into it. I don’t know about you, but for me a bigger purse causes many more problems in finding my keys.

So, in honor of all the women out there that have a habit of losing their keys, this project is for you. I have included four different styles of key chains you can make yourselves, but don’t make just one. Make all four so you can interchange them with your ever changing moods.
Thank you for joining me. Until next time...
Crafty hugs,
Lisa
Stampin' Queen Creations
Give The Queen A Call!!!
 
 

SUPPLIES FOR ALL KEY CHAINS

  • Mat board
  • Tags- 2”W x 3 ¾”H
  • White card stock
  • Key rings
  • Aleene’s Paper Glaze
  • Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Glue
  • Therm O Web Super Tape
  • Copper tape ( for The Queen key chain)
  • Silver embossing powder (for the Celestial key chain)
  • Purple embossing powder ( for the Birdhouse key chain)
  • Black dye-based inkpad
  • Krylon Preserve It! Spray Sealer
  • Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paints- Purple (for the Birdhouse), Fruit Punch (for the Rose), Straw (for the Queen), Metallic Silver (for Celestial)
  • Loew-Cornell Pastel Chalks
  • Jacquard Pearl Ex Powders
  • Assorted fibers and beads
  • Heat tool
  • Exacto knife
  • Rubber Stamps:
  • Rose by DeNami
  • Musical notes by Stampendous
  • Birdhouse by Stampington & Co.
  • Queen bee and Celestial by All Night Media

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL KEY CHAINS

  1. Lay manila tag on to mat board and trace with a pencil four times. Cut out mat board with exacto knife. Place tag down again on white card stock. Trace twice and cut out. NOTE: You will be using two manila tags (for The Queen & The Rose), and two white tags (for Celestial & The Birdhouse).
  2. Stamp all tags with black inkpad. Add color to stamped images using chalks. For The Queen, use Pearl Ex powders to color image. Seal tags with Krylon Preserve It!. After tags have dried, glue tags to the mat board with tacky glue.
  3. Spread a layer of Paper Glaze over top of each tag. Let dry completely to a clear finish. NOTE: Dry time will depend on the amount of Paper Glaze used.
  4. To edge around each tag do as follows; Use copper tape for The Queen. For the Birdhouse and Celestial, wrap Super Tape along the edges, then dip edges into embossing powders. Melt with heat tool. For the Rose, paint edges and back with red paint.
  5. Finish the backs of the tags by painting them with coordinating colors. Add fibers, beads and key rings to each tag for the finishing touches.

No comments: